Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the miracle of Tisha b'av


It's so crazy, i only have a week and a half left i can't believe it! i don't want it to end, especially just as i'm getting to the good layers ( i hate how that happens). I am learning so much and i'm even starting to learn to classify some of the pottery though not near as much as there is. but yep, I'm hooked, this is even more fun than US digging, pretty much i just get to blast big holes in the ground with a pick axe, who has time for measely troweling? Except of course when i almost kill a tiny vessel with it (which i didn't, just knocked off part of the rim, so sad, I don't know if I'll ever get over that)
We definitely experienced a Tish b'av miracle, it was pretty much one of the most amazing days, this whole summer i've been telling everyone i was going to find a whole vessel, that was my goal, and they didn't believe me. We got to a surface at the end of last week and Jeff asked me what i was going to find when we took it down, he laughed when i told him a complete vessel just like area D. three days later i did! and in an area where no one had found a whole one yet :) it was a very cute baby one and next to a huge (we think) base of a cooking/storage jar :) this happened towards the end of they day, so we won't know too much more about it until tomorrow, it actually was not supposed to be in that spot at all ( i told you, a miracle), so we'll see what it turns into. I got to take it out and carry it back to the kibbutz, and got to ride in the car too :) I was pretty darn excited, even the four hour pottery reading didn't phase me too much. Yep, that's why i dig :)

2 comments:

  1. wow u stole my luck! thats why i keep gettin hurt! i want it back! (after ur dig so u cn find more stuff and get and bring me home stuff)

    ReplyDelete