Sunday, June 29, 2014

Recap of my last days in China

(a very exciting title I know)
So we did make it down the wall, and luckily not too soon, because we got caught in a rainstorm and got soaking wet, and then once again, had to run to get seats (this one was a little more crazy, smaller platform and slippery ground).




Soaking wet

Lunch on the train! (in our great seats I got :)

Friday consisted of what I call downtown (i don't know if it really is)- Tiananmen square, the forbidden city, an the national museum. And then the Temple of Heaven. They were all pretty cool, it was very bright out, and you could buy a popsicle for only 1 qui! That was great. It was also a lot of walking.
Tienanmen square w/forbidden city in background

Vessels!!!!

Temple of Heaven

Also one of the best parts of that day was going to the grocery store- so much cool food!
Then Saturday we did the Summer Palace, all i can say is i definitely feel bad for the servants who had to carry people around, the whole thing is just steep hikes and stairs! Very pretty buildings though. And we ended up getting to see a short show there, some music and dancing, a little long, but interesting. Though I don't know what the people around us watched more- the show or Peter.

Peter's such a celebrity

Matching is the thing to do. So many couples do.

It has been really nice just to follow and not have to plan or worry about directions, I have definitely been grateful for jonathan and robin for that.
We met up with a friend of Jonathan's later on at a big pizza place. It was kinda crazy- really good pizza, and really, really big. But so much! And i ate way too much. But it was my last meal of meat and cheese together for the next month, so I appreciated that!
Mmm, pizza

 Really cool Baku, Azerbaijan airport

And then the day was over and I headed to the airport, which was not all smooth sailing. They chose the one night to close the exact line I needed apparently so then i had to end up getting a taxi who totally ripped me off, but I had to do it cause i was in a hurry and could only put a quick call in to jonathan to speak to him, cause i understood nothing.
I think that has been one of the hardest things this last week and a half- not being able to communicate, barely even knowing the basic phrases like hi, thank you, and good bye, and i don't want. Last night trying to to get to the airport was just the culmination of that. This whole time I've been almost craving to be back in russia, somewhere i could talk to people and them only be slightly frustrated with me, instead of completely.
I've really come to realize that there are some places you can go and get by, others you just need to know the language or be with someone who does. Because it can get very frustrating.
It was kinda a miracle for me then, when in the last leg of my flight here to Israel, practically the whole plane was full of russians, even the stewardesses. So there was russian all around me and talking to me, so I just talked back in Russian, I don't think anyone even realized I wasn't russian until the end when I actually got into a real conversation with the guy next to me. But that was fun because he was impressed, and we carried on in rusglish. It really was a breath of fresh air. And they had blinchiki for the meal, and president's butter!! I was in heaven, even the gas water made me feel at home, even though it was just as gross as I remember.
And then getting here, I definitely don't speak hebrew so great, but i can understand enough to get the gist of what's going on and get to places i need, so it's been fun trying to use it first before reverting to english (which a majority of the people know here anyways). And me getting lost by an hour and a half and making it all the way to Ashkelon wasn't even a language miscommunication, just a pride factor and not recognizing the area anymore. But don't worry I figured it out and made it back, and am finally here at the Tell!
So that is my exciting life for the past few days, now on to the next, very hot and busy, adventure.    
                                 
They have Kinder here too! America is lame...

No comments:

Post a Comment