Tuesday, June 29, 2010

So I got there, had to pay 60 LE to get into the complex even though I had already paid in the tour package. I didn’t really know what I was doing at that point, just praying really hard that it would work out. It was an awesome sight, an amazing to think that I was there, right in front of me were these amazing structures thousands of years old, everything I had dreamed of, and yet I couldn’t enjoy them as I wanted, I was too rushed and anxious looking for everybody. And on top of that, me being a blonde haired girl walking alone, it was a beacon for every vender/whatever guy out ooking for money,. One kid especially just wouldn’t leave me alone- ‘come I show you where to touch it, here special spot, let me take your picture, perfect spot for picture…” – so I finally was like ok, I don’t know if I’ll find the group here, who knows if I’ll get the chance again, so I gave him my camera to take my picture and then he kept wanting me to have different poses and junk and I was like no, I’m good that’s all. I got my camera back, though of course after I had to pay him- “that’s all, this is nothing, I want American, Egyptian nothing, this is nothing..” – I finally got him off my back, after telling him for sure I did not want a picture with a donkey, and no I did not want him to take me anywhere, that I just needed to get back to my group (I was hoping that mentioning my big group would deter him a little, it didn’t).

So I got rid of him, had barely made it to the side of the first pyramid when a kid was riding by on the camel, I was definitely tired and not thinking cause when he said, here take my picture, I said ok, and did, and then looked up to see his dad coming and realized how stupid I was, so I had to go through the same sequence, managed to get away, not paying any American money, but still probably giving him more than I should have. I got out behind Cheop’s and saw a parking lot of mostly tour buses near chefron’s so I decided to look over there, praying that I would find them or pick pick out the bus, even though I couldn’t remember at all what the bus looked like.

So I was walking over there and, yay! As I walked into the parking lot there were a few from my group that happened to be standing in front of the bus as they were getting ready to leave and waiting for everybody else to come back. They were excited to see me, everybody was very sorry they had not noticed I was gone and were very impressed with what I had done. And Allan said he was now my buddy (he even had a spot for me right next him on the bus) and he has kept true to that, pretty much every corner we turn or street place we go, Allan is always looking back to find me and make sure I’m there. I’m usually the last one coming up from anything, but I do try to stay fairly close so he doesn’t get a heart attack or something, he is a sweet guy though, and I do know he’s just looking out for me.

It was because of me, though, that every time we got on or off the bus or get somewhere new we have to count off. Now Blair just put us into groups though to make it easier so just one person looks after each group, and off course Allan is the leader of ours, it’s pretty funny. And now I can’t get really anywhere without someone making sure I’m around or on the bus, and if I’m the slightest bit late to breakfast in the morning they’re just about ready to send someone to come make sure I;m awake and coming. Sometimes it’s kinda like I have 20 or so eyes on me like hawks. Luckily it’s getting a little more relaxed now, so it’s not so bad anymore.

Anyways, once I got there, our Cairo guide was there too, Noha, and she wanted to make sure I saw the inside, so she took me over quickly to the tomb of the 2nd pyramid so I could go inside, which I was very appreciative of, I had been quite sad thinking I was going to miss it. Though that was also fast too because I didn’t want to keep the group waiting and felt kinda bad. It was amazing as well, though, I wish I could gone through it much slower. But that’s ok, it just means I have to come back again.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of when I went on a trip Back East with my school last year...When we were in the Holocaust Museum I went through a lot slower than everyone else, although I didn't realize it, and by the time I got done and outside everyone was gone. At first people wouldn't answer their phones and I was in D.C. all by myself...I finally found the group, but everyone was really paranoid after that and every time we'd get ready to go somewhere else, they'd say, "Is Jillian here?" It got pretty annoying. But I guess it's good to have people watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete